Sunday, February 14, 2010

Music and Life: The Drunk Version

We were in the local Irish store yesterday and I heard this song and now I can't get it out of my head. At first I just laughed at it cause the dude calls the whiskey the devil and then turns around and says "...you're me darlin' drunk or sober!" I found that funny for some reason...

Then when it was running around in my head most of the day and I caught myself singing it I thought I'd look it up and found that one of the verses they say, "o'er hills and mountains into Americay". So, the whiskey landed him in America? Hmmm, that could explain what's up with one of the nearer towns to me. Oh, wait, are ya'll reading this over there? Love you guys....

Enjoy me new favorite song! Rick just told me (jokingly) I shouldn't listen to stuff like this, "it'll warp your mind." He must not know me very well. Pahahaha!



WHISKEY YOU'RE THE DEVIL

Chorus:
Whiskey you're the devil you're leading me astray
Over hills and mountains into Americay
You're sweeter, stronger, decenter
You're spunkier than tea
Oh whiskey you're me darlin' drunk or sober!

Oh, now brave boys we're on for marching
Up to Portugal and Spain drums are beating, banners flying
The devil all home will come tonight
Love, fare thee well

With me tiddle-ee-iddle-doodle-a-ma-da me tiddle-ee-iddle-doodle-a-ma-da
Me rightful too-ra-laddie-oh
There's whiskey in the jar

Said the mother do not wrong me do not take me daughter from me
For if you do I will torment you
And after death me ghost will haunt you
Love fare thee well

Oh the French are fighting boldly
Men are dying hot and coldly
Give every man his flask of powder
His firelock upon his shoulder
Love fare thee well

No comments: