Friday, January 14, 2011

Blind Bartimaeus

I decided to take the challenge to read the New Testament thru in 30 days and continue to do that each month of this year. (Check it out at YouVersion if you're interested). The other day I was reading Mark 10 and I got to the story of Blind Bartimaeus and I just read it over and over again. Here's what it says:

46 Now they came to Jericho. As He went out of Jericho with His disciples and a great multitude, blind Bartimaeus, the son of Timaeus, sat by the road begging. 47 And when he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to cry out and say, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!”48 Then many warned him to be quiet; but he cried out all the more, “Son of David, have mercy on me!”49 So Jesus stood still and commanded him to be called. Then they called the blind man, saying to him, “Be of good cheer. Rise, He is calling you.”50 And throwing aside his garment, he rose and came to Jesus.51 So Jesus answered and said to him, “What do you want Me to do for you?” The blind man said to Him, “Rabboni, that I may receive my sight.”52 Then Jesus said to him, “Go your way; your faith has made you well.” And immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus on the road.

It made me think of Maxim and all the kids on Reece's Rainbow, and all the kids just waiting somewhere to be seen - to be heard. What if they are Bartimaeus in this moment? What if we are their voice? What happens if we don't cry out for them? 

They are crying out for Jesus to have mercy on them. It's up to us to decide if we will be their voice. Or will we be the ones who tell them to be quiet? That Jesus is too busy for them. When really it's us who are too busy for them, aren't we? 

I saw this quote the other day and I loved it: ““We will go before God to be judged, and God will ask us, ‘Where are your wounds?’ And we will say, ‘We have no wounds.’ And God will ask, ‘Was nothing worth fighting for?’” — Rev. Allan Boesak” 

I'd like to stand before God and proudly show off my battle scars, knowing that I have tried my hardest to be the hands and feet of Jesus. When I see a "blind Bartimaeus" who needs to me to be his voice I want to do what it takes to yell at the top of my lungs on his behalf: "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on them". 

Do you notice at the very end of those verses Jesus tells him to go his way, but instead he "followed Jesus on the road"? I believe that is what these ones who we bring before the Throne will do. They will follow Jesus and shine such a light that they will cause others to turn and follow Him to.

Please don't be afraid to be the voice of a "Blind Bartimaeus" today! Whether it's a child in foster care who know one else is willing to take a chance on, the homeless man you see on the street every day, or a child like Maxim who waits for some one to be his voice. Our wounds will be so worth it someday.

No comments: